Friday, December 28, 2018

Doing and Disbelief

Looking at some of the "supporting actors" in the drama of the Incarnation, in Matthew's and Luke's accounts, we see how they responded to the unique and surprising situations they lived in. Might there be some application in our lives? Perhaps. Let's
look -- this is the first in a series for the next ten days or so, and I hope you stay tuned in!

Luke 1:18-20 says "Zechariah said to the angel, “How can I be sure this will happen? I’m an old man now, and my wife is also well along in years.” Then the angel said, “I am Gabriel! I stand in the very presence of God. It was he who sent me to bring you this good news! But now, since you didn’t believe what I said, you will be silent and unable to speak until the child is born. For my words will certainly be fulfilled at the proper time.”

Gabriel was sent on a mission to help prepare the way for the birth of the Messiah. Since he was in the very presence of God -- one of the 'royal court' as we would see it in a monarchy -- Gabriel knew firsthand what was to happen, and reprimanded Zechariah for his unbelief.

One question we could ask, of course, is how much Gabriel himself understood about what was happening, and the next steps in the plan? In Peter's first epistle, we're told that the good news is something "into which angels long to look" (1:12) --so did Gabriel have a full inside view, or was he faithfully delivering a message that even he didn't understand? For sure, we can be grateful that he followed orders, and accurately delivered his assignment, regardless if he completely understood the implications of the virgin birth of the Son of God, or even the unlikely birth of a son to an old couple.

An application for us? Perhaps so. Sometimes we want to have all the answers, and to be assured things will work out the way we want them, before we take steps to obey God. Our practical nature (especially in America) wants to see a purpose for what we do, or a guaranteed result for doing it. But the Bible contains few stories that tell the full result at the same time as the command from God. So for me, the point is to go where I'm told, do what the Holy Spirit leads me to do, and for once in my life, quit worrying about the end result. And you?

No comments:

Post a Comment