Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Following Jesus More, Loving More

On Sunday, I read a tribute about a member of a sister congregation in Ohio, that finished with these words: "He loved the Lord Jesus Christ with all his heart." That's about as good as anyone could write about anyone, I think. That's far above accomplishments, work, golf scores, or anything else I can imagine. That love, responding to God's love for us through Jesus, is what draws us more and more to eternity with him -- and more and more people into eternity with Jesus.

In John 5:24, Jesus says "I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life." The same apostle writes in 1 John 4:10, "This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins." In verses 16 and 17 he continues, "God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them. And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can face him with confidence because we live like Jesus here in this world."

I'm slowly becoming convinced that in this life, only God's love in and through us will last. Not academic learning, not golf scores, not how many books we've read or titles we hold.

How did the writer of that testimony I quoted above, know that this person's love for Jesus was so deep? I have no doubt that his love for Jesus showed up in his actions toward others.

Every problem I've had in this life, when I responded badly to something around me, has come from not loving God or his children -- or both -- as I should. Fear (1 John 4:18, the lack of love) causes me to be impatient, selfish, demanding and controlling. Fear tempts me to react in ways I wouldn't consider if I were simply resting in God's love.

How did the writer of that testimony I quoted above, know that this person's love for Jesus was so deep? I have no doubt that his love for Jesus showed up in his actions toward others. 1 John 4:19 says "We love because he loved us first." Being completely assured that God loves us allows us to give that love to someone else (because we can give it away and still never run out!), whether that person is treating us well or not.

I can't treat anyone well, except by the love of God in me coming through to someone else. But I want that love to grow bigger and bigger, and all my own motivations to wither and die. Do you want that? Then pray for it to be true, every day, and sooner or later, it will be. Do you want someone to pray for you that this will be true? Let me know, and I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment