Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Jesus Is our One True...

In life we sometimes believe a false idea that looks simple and convenient. The urban legends cataloged at various websites such as snopes.com feed on peoples' mistaken ideas about celebrities, politicians and fads. But what if you could
find a truth that gives you answers to life and to all you need? I've found one: his name is Jesus. Here are some thoughts from Isaiah 40:9-11 that I gleaned recently from Jared C. Wilson, a popular Christian writer and thinker, in my own words.

Verse 9 tells the people to raise their voices and proclaim “Behold your God!” The proclamation that soon came was not about some generic god, but the God revealed to us in Jesus Christ, who came and taught, but also died and was raised from the dead. We could preach a lot of other messages, but our One True Message is Jesus Christ.

Verse 10 says "Behold, the Lord God comes with might, and his arm rules for him." Well, if God shows up in power, and rules in his love as well as his power, then all the other things I tend to worry about aren't really enough to derail my future, are they? So why do I worry about them? Because I'm not keeping my eyes on our One True Hope, Jesus Christ.

Verse 11 has a beautiful picture of a loving and tender shepherd caring for his sheep--a picture that Bible scholars agree points to Jesus:
"He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms;
he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young."
When I'm in trouble or need help finding my way, Jesus is the one I need to focus on. My problems and concerns fade away in the radiance of his face and the comfort of his arms. His strength is sufficient for us and his love surrounds us. Jesus is our One True Comfort.

Those powerful ideas in that short passage encourage me a lot, and I hope they will encourage you also.

No comments:

Post a Comment