Friday, July 3, 2015

Stress and Relief

After reading several thousand Facebook posts from people in my Friends list from all over the world, I'm beginning to think that a lot of stress in life is caused by trying to be right all the time. We get irritated, we feel threatened and frightened, we feel unloved, unappreciated and alone. Often it's not a huge life-threatening situation, but something simple. I don't like the way my wife just spoke to me or questioned my plan for a project. Sometimes we get upset because we think
people should be agreeing with our point of view on something. or treating us better, or the situation was supposed to turn out differently and give us more fun or satisfaction.

Jesus had a different point of view on it. In Mark's gospel, 9:33-35, he says “Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else.” Now, a lot of times we are polite to others and take care of their needs, and that's great. But often, more often than I'd like to admit, I insist on being right, having the correct answer, and insisting on my own way. That's a lot different from Jesus' description here of how to lead, how to be out front, and be #1.

What does it take to let go? For me, it's being safe in knowing that even if I'm not right, not recognized as having all wisdom, and have to put up with being treated poorly by someone else, I'll still be okay. That can only come from a complete assurance that "the Lord is my Shepherd, I have all that I need" in Psalm 23:1. Not simply repeating it to myself, but believing it to the core of my being, because that's the only way it will change the way I react to my wife or others.

Like when I'm tempted to correct someone on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment