Wednesday, March 25, 2015

It's Personal

"Okay, if God is love, then he loves me too, but only in the general sense, because he has to. After all, he knows me, he knows my sins and he knows all my problems, so he can't possibly love me - not me -- not really, even if it's in his
job description as God, or something like that. I know me, and I don't like me, so God, who knows me so much more, can't possibly like me!"  That's what I hear from people, more or less in these words, and more or less intensively about themselves.

But let's look at Jesus' ministry. I won't quote specific scriptures, I'll let you look them up, but you'll see that it wasn't generic, but personal:

  • Jesus touched people. Lots of people.  People that good people wouldn't come near.  Lepers, women, tax collectors, and even Pharisees. 
  • Jesus washed the disciples' feet -- even those of Judas -- to show them he loved them. (Do you think they remembered that touch, to the last day of their lives?)
  • Jesus gave them bread and wine symbolizing his body. Not to help them celebrate the Passover lamb, but himself, his real self, his total self (body and blood; not much left) given for them. 
  • Jesus addressed people by name. All the time. 
  • Jesus called specific people to follow him. 
  • Jesus called to Mary Magdalene after he was resurrected. 
  • Jesus healed people because they asked, and some who didn't ask. 
  • Jesus healed Gentiles, who weren't even part of the Special People of God. 
  • Jesus raised the son of a widow because her son was her only source of support after her husband's death. He cared about her well-being. 
  • Jesus raised the daughter of a local man who was heartbroken at losing his little girl. 
  • Jesus asked people "what do you want?" because he cared what they wanted. 
On the night before he died, Jesus did what no other rabbi would have done by washing their feet as a lowly servant. Not just to set them an example but to help them understand his love. If you had been there, he would have washed your feet too. Because he loves you. 

His death on the cross wasn't just for humanity in general. He talked to the thief and told him he was forgiven. He forgave the soldiers who crucified him. He died for you and for me, individually, not just generally. For Jesus, it was personal because he already knew you and loved you even then.  And right now, today, he loves you because it's personal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment