Thursday, August 29, 2013

Worse than I Thought

Turns out the work on my house is going to take longer than I thought. Not because the permits office takes longer, or that the workers
are slower. It's because my house needs structural work, not just repairs of a wall or two. It seems that back in the day (35 years ago) the building codes were looser and they didn't have to make the structure as strong as today. So even after the walls are redone and painted and the garage is rebuilt, I'll still have weaknesses in the subfloor and other areas, and will have to spend time working on those too.

And when I think my own spiritual house is getting in order, I find more deep-rooted problems that need to be cut out, rebuilt and resolved, on the foundational level of who I think I am and how I understand God to be. The difficulties I have in life, whether frustrations or disappointments or lack of progress, come from my own failure to understand how much God loves me, how much he loves everyone else, and how I need the patience of Jesus -- not Job -- as I respond.

Sigh. Back to the basement with the hammer and nails and timbers. And for myself, the spiritual disciplines that have been shown over many centuries to address the weaknesses I'm finding through the power of God applied in a focused way.  Good thing I have the Carpenter as a mentor!

Updates: I was right - my builder called again today about yet another requirement from the city to upgrade the structure. And I'm convinced I should offer some help in applying the spiritual tools that I mentioned in the last paragraph.  Do you want more information? Then let's talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment