Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Fatigue and Rest

Life seems like a never-ending list of projects, chores and work sometimes.  Now that the taxes are done, I'm behind on the lawn and garden, and there are several home projects I wanted to finish last year...maybe I'll get them done this year!  Yesterday's chores tired me out, and it makes me tired just thinking about everything I have stacked up ahead of me.

Jesus had a lot of demands on his time.  As I've said sometimes, even his interruptions were interrupted! (See Mark 5:21-43.)  I guess preaching the Gospel, healing the sick and casting out demons can keep a person busy.  But even when he had a lot to do -- probably because he had a lot to do -- Jesus took time out to rest and to spend time with his Father.  He told the disciples to do the same:  Mark 6:30-31 tells us "The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught. Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, 'Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.'”  They went off in a boat to "a solitary place" but the crowds followed them and they didn't get as much solitude out of it as they should have.  

Later that day, after teaching the people and feeding at least 5,000 of them, he "went up into the hills by himself to pray" (v. 46).  It was hours later that he finally rejoined the disciples.  What was he doing?  Praying.  For hours?  Well, why not?  We have a hard time imagining that these days because our lives are so hectic.  But praying for hours would be a refreshing spiritual journey, an encounter with God that would change our thinking.  

This Saturday, a bunch of us are gathering to practice prayer and other spiritual tools.  It's going to be a time of refreshing, of challenge, of growth and of new joy in following Jesus, surrendering ourselves to him and being "formed in Christ."  In the meantime, I need to go pray.  Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment