Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What Now?

Christmas is a time of tremendous joy for the McCulleys, as we look at the Son of God, who took on human flesh (that's the Incarnation) to join us to God and give us eternal life.  Sharing that joy with others is our main focus during this time.  But, we just finished putting away all the Christmas decorations and took the tree out to be turned into compost.  So, what now?  Mild depression?  Back to business-as-usual?

What now?  What is our response to the great gift of God for us, his only Son, Jesus the Christ?  There should be only one response, if we consider carefully:  to live out, in every possible way,  our true being and purpose in life as God has revealed it.  Here's a prayer from the journal of Susanna Wesley, mother of John and Charles Wesley, who grounded them in God in their youth:  "Help me, Lord, to remember that religion is not to be confined to the church, or [prayer] closet, nor exercised only in prayer and meditation, but that everywhere I am in Thy presence.  So may my every word and action have a moral content...May all the happenings of my life prove useful and beneficial to me.  May all things instruct me and afford me an opportunity of exercising some virtue and daily learning and growing toward Thy likeness...Amen."  (Quoted by Richard Foster in Streams of Living Water, from Donald L. Kline's book, Susanna Wesley: God's Catalyst for Revival.)

What now?  God has called us with a holy calling as his dear children (Eph 1:4) and is blessing us spiritually (Eph. 1:3).  He is everywhere, at every second, so we know God is in every moment of our lives.  We don't have to "bring God along" as we go somewhere; he is already with us. But if we're not aware of God's presence and power, we end up stumbling around in life, being aware only of our own strength, and tripped up by our weaknesses. 

Let me suggest a simple prayer to remind us of God's presence in every second of our daily living:  "Lord God, help me see you in everything and hear your direction for me.  Let your love fill me so I can love everyone in your name.  Amen."  That's a place to begin. 

What now?  Live every moment of every day being fully aware of God's love and purpose for you

1 comment: