Monday, July 21, 2008

Distractions

The Lovely Joanne has a cat that lives with us. As cats go, I suppose, Mimi is a wonderful beast, not too big, and only leaves hair lying around when she's shedding. And isn't quite as noisy as a dog. Except at 5 AM when she decides it's getting light outside (no, dear, that's only the street light) and that I should be awake too. And she misses her mother. Terribly. I know this because she tells me about it. Sometimes at 5 AM.

What's wrong, I ask myself at those times, with getting a little sleep? And why do I have to be dragged out of peaceful dreamland by such a racket?

We can get distracted just the same in other parts of life, when our old habits, sins and weaknesses come along and whack us on the back of the head again.

The writer of Hebrews, in chapter 12, encouraged his readers (that would be us, now) this way: "Do you see what all this means -- all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we'd better get on with it. Strip down, start running -- and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in." (the Message).

To be fruitful in Christian life, in this endurance race I'm in, I have to push away the sins, doubts, fears, weaknesses and other problems, and follow Jesus as he focused on his Father's will. It's a choice I make -- to ignore distractions and keep my eyes on the goal. It's a choice to believe that life in God's path is better than all the distractions around me.

How are you dealing with the distractions in your life? Can you decide today, to push some aside?

No comments:

Post a Comment